Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Random Depressing Thoughts

I can not bring myself to write about the Mariners too much these days, it is just too depressing. I have had a bunch of random thoughts wander through my head, so lucky for me, and maybe not so lucky for you… I have this outlet for them. Remember, I don’t get paid for this, so this is all free….and you get what you pay for!


I went in to this season with high hopes. I thought the World Series hopes were a little far-fetched, but 88 wins was do-able. I was excited to start writing this blog. I believe in Z. I thought Figgins was a great addition.

Ugh. 100% wrong so far. (maybe 90%, I still believe in Z…for now) Figgins just isn’t hitting, and although I have always thought the “He is adjusting to his place in the order” was as much of a load of crap as “He needs to know his role in the bullpen to perform well”. Well, maybe I am wrong about that too. He is hitting in a different spot, and playing a new position to boot. (to boot, get it…..error, boot….ah, whatever. I thought it was funny). Those things, combined with the pressure of living up to the $$$$$$$$ may be the reasons, although I think “living up to the contract” is a load of crap as well….you have just been rewarded for doing your job well, what makes a player think they need to change how they do things?

I do not understand switching Lopez and Figgins. My first thought was they were teaching Jose a new position to increase his trade value, in anticipation of bringing up Ackley, who is busy in the minors learning to play second base. (I was having a brain cramp as I was writing this, and couldn’t remember his name, so I went to Google and typed in “Mariners # 1 draft pick” and I half expected to see a page full of laughing emoticons) but Ackley is not going to be ready this year, so I guess I just don’t understand the move.

How about Doug Fister? At this moment, 4th in the AL with an ERA under 2.00! He impressed me last year, and I expected him to be good, but not this good. I was actually stunned to see a 3 spot on his line the other day! Let’s hope that he doesn’t pull a Fleming on us.

We are certainly not giving Lee much reason to stay, he has a great ERA, is pitching very well, and has exactly 2 wins to show for it, as well as a nice view of the AL West from the cellar. Probably not what he had in mind.

I am seriously concerned about Wak’s handling of his pitchers. Leaving pitchers in an inning too long, using relievers in situations where they have, so far, shown that they can not do the job. It almost feels like Colome has incriminating pictures of somebody, because he has not shown me any reason that he deserves to get trotted out there any other time than mop up duty.

There is more, including the fact that 13 players on the All Star ballot were originally signed or drafted by Seattle…..and the fact that Seattle has given up the most last at bat wins of any team in MLB….and. and, and. I could go on, but believe it or not, I am trying to be positive. Really, I am. No, seriously, this is me trying to be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment