Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Gotta find a reason to watch

When your team sucks, if you are a real baseball fan, you start to look for other things to keep it interesting. You can’t just stop watching, or stop caring, so you have to make the best of it.


On that note, I am always looking at the things that are unique and out of the ordinary about baseball, whether or not they are directly related to the game. There are so many subtleties to the game, and even the scoring of the game. It is a hugely stats-based game, but there are really strange holes in the scoring system. Since I was a little kid, I thought it was stupid that a pitcher could make an error, give up a run, and the run would be unearned….his fault, he earned it, right? Seems fair to me. My wife has made the observation that the whole game is predicated on what should happen. You should have swung at those 3 pitches, (they were right there!) but you didn’t, so you can have a seat. The fielder should have scooped that grounder you hit, so he gets the scarlet letter “E” and you don’t get credit for anything. Jeremy Giambi should have slid….he would have been safe, and the stinking Yankees would have lost. Um….that doesn’t really fit here does it? Oh well, I hate the Yankees and the constant canonizing of Jeter, so that one bugs me. ….sorry. Anyhow, I was talking about funny, unique stuff. Did you know that one time when our own Milton Bradley was traded, his spot was then taken by Coco Crisp? Really? Coco Crisp for Milton Bradley? Was this arranged by a Kindergartener? Also, did you know that our very own Ryan Rowland-Smith is the only player in MLB history with a hyphenated last name? That one is not very funny, or worth mentioning for any other reason than to bring up RRS, and segue into the fact that I apparently have superpowers. The two things are related, believe it or not. Let me explain.

A few weeks ago, while I was ranting about the poor showing by the bullpen, I singled out Jesus Colome and wondered if he had incriminating photos of someone. I couldn’t understand why he was still employed. Soon after, he was released…Later, I wrote a letter to Jr, pleading with him to retire. Soon after, he did. Once more, I singled out Ian Snell, wondering when he would be DFA’d….I believe it happened the next day. So, apparently, I have strange super-mindpower and can make things happen by writing about them here. So, on that note, it is really a shame that Ryan Rowland-Smith hasn’t worked out, and it is obviously time for him to get his walking papers. I think it must be really cool to suddenly and unexpectedly come into a big pile of money. And, lastly, I wish that Charisma Carpenter could come live at my house.

We will see if my powers are real……

No comments:

Post a Comment